Very strong winds may bring disruption to parts of the UK this weekend. The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for the whole country.
With Forecasters settling on the name ‘Storm Ciara’ we take a look at how you can prepare your property:
Before the storm
- Secure any loose objects outside your home such as ladders, garden furniture or anything that could be blown around.
- Close and securely fasten doors and windows.
- Park vehicles in a garage if available.
- Consider having your roof checked and fixing any broken tiles.
- Secure gates and fences to prevent damage.
- Find where your essential supplies mains are for your gas, electricity and water. In extreme conditions, you may need to turn these off.
- Gather some essentials to prepare for if your gas, electricity or water goes out. This should include, a torch, warm clothes, blankets and water.
- Make sure your mobile phone is fully charged.
- If possible clear your guttering from leaves.
During the storm
- Do not go outside to repair damage if the storm is in progress.
After the storm
- Once the storm has passed and it’s safe to do so, check for any damage.
- Make sure any vulnerable neighbours or relatives are safe.
If you notice any damage this is where your Home Emergency could come in handy. Refer to your documents and contact your Home Emergency provider.
If you do not have Home Emergency cover you might need to call a local contractor to prevent any further damage occurring by making the property safe and watertight. Call us on 01527 874092 for advice or call your insurer if outside our working hours. (Monday to Friday – 9am to 5:30pm).
To read the latest warnings go to the Met Office website.